Coach Tina - Kinesiology Tape - Taping Your Foot for Arch Support, Plantar Fasciitis
Coach Tina is back to help illustrate the benefits of using Motus Tape (Premium Kinesiology Tape) to help support your arch and reduce pain from Plantar Fasciitis, shin splints and more during your workout.
Plantar fasciitis is the most common foot injury and there are many reasons why it occurs. Typically, the injury can stem from increased stress on the plantar fascia: a tough band of fibrous tissue that extends from the heel bone to the metatarsal bones of the foot. Acting as a shock absorber, this tissue takes a lot of the load during walking, running and most upright workouts. Plantar Fasciitis can be caused by many things, such as increasing your running mileage/technique abruptly, a change of footwear, or exercising on hard, undulating surfaces.
Motus Tape premium kinesiology tape has been shown to create support and provide pain relief in the area, so you can continue your run and not miss a step! Let Coach Tina show you the proper way to apply using two pre-cut strips of Motus Tape.
- (Strip #1) With the ankle dorsi flexed, place a piece of tape from the ball of your foot and apply up to the Achilles tendon area.
- (Strip #2) Apply a piece of tape from the top of the mid foot, going underneath the arch and over top of foot. Always rub in the tape for 10 seconds to activate the adhesive.
The tape should not be on so tight that it cuts off circulation, but just tight enough to prevent arch collapse and improve circulation in the area.
Also follow these tips to help prevent injury and reduce pain:
- Wear shoes with the appropriate support and fit (many fitness stores offer services to correctly measure this).
- Avoid sustained impact on hard surfaces
- Apply ice and compression after strenuous activity
- Prior to any exercise, properly stretch and warmup.
- Always remain active and avoid long periods of standing still.